The much talked and much awaited Remix OS 2.0 by Jide and Android-x86 has been officially released for both Windows and Mac OS X. Remix OS 2.0 happens to be the best virtual Android OS experience that you will ever come across. Remix OS 2.0 simply puts the traditional Android emulators to shame. It’s not just an Android emulator that will open up inside your existing operating system, but it’s a whole operating system that will boot up separately and let you have complete Android OS in an entirely separate panel. Remix OS 2.0 runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. It let’s you enjoy the your favourite Android games and applications in HD graphics on full screen of your Laptop or your desktop PC’s LED / LCD. I personally haven’t had this much good gaming experience in any other Android emulator so far. Using Remix OS 2.0 was just a wow. It offers a cool and eye-soothing UI. It’s easy to use, and it comes with more development support.
Remix OS 2.0 is in its early development stages. The very first few builds are expected to carry some bugs, but we will suggests you to spare the bugs keeping in view the great functionality and usability of this brand new Android virtual OS. Installing Remix OS 2.0 on a Windows PC is much easy as the ISO file of Remix OS 2.0 brings a USB boot tool for a Windows PC. You can easily make a Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB and then use it to boot into Remix OS on a Windows PC. But this isn’t the same for a Mac OS X powered device. If you’ve been looking for a way to install Remix OS 2.0 on your Macbook Air, Macbook Pro & iMac, you may have spotted the right place.
We are all set to help you install Remix OS 2.0 on your Macbook Air, Macbook Pro & iMac. The method may seem complex at first, but it has been trimmed down and simplified as much as possible. We’ve tried our best to write the method in such a way that even newbies can follow it and get their hands on Remix OS 2.0 instantly. Let’s go through the procedure and experience full-fledge Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Macbook Air, Macbook Pro & iMac via Remix OS 2.0.
How to install Remix OS 2.0 on Macbook Air, Macbook Pro & iMac
Here’s what you will need to perform this installation:
- Download Remix OS 2.0.iso file. Rename the downloaded file to “Remix_OS.iso” only. Copy the renamed file to your Mac OS X device’s desktop. [important]
- You need a USB 3.0 pen drive with 8 – 16 GB of storage.
- Download and install UNetBootin on your Macbook Air, Macbook Pro or iMac.
- How to install Remix OS 2.0 on Macbook & iMac
Convert Remix_OS .iso file to Remix_OS.img file
In order to make a bootlabe image file of Remix OS, you will need to convert your renamed Remix_OS.iso file to Remix_OS.img. Here’s the method to do so.
- Open Terminal on your Macbook Pro, Macbook Air or iMac.
- Now in terminal, copy and paste the following command and hit enter:
- Once this command has been executed, it will drop a Remix_OS.img.dmg file on your desktop.
- Now renamed this Remix_OS.img.dmg file to Remix_OS.img only.
Format your USB 3.0 flash disk to MS-DOS (FAT) format
- Plug in / Connect your USB 3.0 flash drive into your Macbook Air, Macbook Pro or iMac.
- Open Disk Utility on your Mac PC or laptop now.
- Now in Disk Utility, choose the USB flash drive that you’ve just connected.
- Click on “Erase” the third option in right below Disk Utility heading.
- Enter any name now, change the format to MS-DOS (FAT) and change the Scheme to Master Boot Record.
- Click on Erase.
- This will erase your USB 3.0 flash drive now.
- Head towards the next step to make the Remix OS 2.0 bootable drive and run it.
Make a Remix OS 2.0 Bootable USB using UNetbootin
- Make sure that you’ve formatted your USB 3.0 flash drive to MS-DOS (FAT) format.
- Also make sure that you’ve created the Remix_OS.img file as mentioned above. Also make sure that this file is placed on your desktop.
- Now open UNetbooting on your Mac device.
- Now click on “Disk Image” option in UNetbootin.
- Now click on “…” next to Disk Image option. Select the Remix_OS.img file from your desktop.
- Now change Floppy to ISO in the option appearing right next to Disk Image option.
- Click on OK and sit back while it prepares your bootable USB with Remix OS 2.0 on it.
- It can take up to 10 – 15 minutes for this procedure to be finished, so wait patiently. Once done proceed to the next step.
Boot into Remix OS 2.0 now
- Make sure that you’ve performed all the steps explained above and prepared a Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB stick.
- Now Shut down your Mac device.
- Connect your Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB drive to your Mac device.
- Turn on your Mac device now and instantly press and hold option key to get to the boot menu.
- In the boot menu you will find two options; Macintosh Hd and Windows. The Windows option will only appear if you’ve successfully made the Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB. If something went wrong with the process above, this option won’t appear. If Windows option isn’t appearing here, you may want to repeat the whole process explained above to create the bootable USB from scratch.
- Now click on Windows in order to boot into Remix OS.
- The Remix OS will now boot up and ask you whether you want to boot into Guest Mode or Resident Mode. The Guest mode is for temporary use while the Resident mode will save all of your settings and configurations.
- Select Resident mode and let it set up the Resident mode for you. You will get to see some logs running on your screen while it’s configuring the Resident mode. It can take up to 10 minutes here. Wait patiently.
- Once the Resident mode has been set up, you will get into the Remix OS.
Setup Remix OS 2.0
- You will have the Remix OS welcome screen in front of you now.
- The Remix OS will take you to a configuration screen once it has booted up.
- Choose your desired language and click next.
- Accept the user agreement and click next.
- Connect to your WiFi connection and click next.
- That’s all. You’ve the Remix OS 2.0 installed and configured now. Start using it just as you would use an Android device.
- In order to boot into Remix OS, you have to simply plug in the USB device, turn on your Macbook while pressing and holding option key and then select Windows mode.
- That’s all.
Now that you’ve installed Remix OS 2.0, you will definitely want to enjoy your favourite games and applications on it. In order to access billions of Android apps, you will need Google Play Store and also Google Play Services. Have a look on this guide to learn how to install Google Play Services and Google Play Store on Remix OS 2.0
You may also want to root your Remix OS 2.0. Here’s a guide on how to root Remix OS 2.0.
Have got any queries? Don’t worry. Reach us out through the comments section.